Saturday 23 April 2011

No one but you (only the good die young)

This is my all time favourite Queen song (with the exception maybe of We will Rock you or We are the Champions sung on a school bus at the top of our voices). I love the original obviously but the We Will Rock You version beats it by a milimetre because of the opening with the characters naming famous rock singers who died young ending, with "Freddie..." , which gets me every time!

My point is without We Will Rock You I would never have heard the song and no doubt it would have become one of those songs that are on a Forgotten Songs of the 90s which a couple of people buy and then listen to once and otherwise just sit there, like old leaves blowing in the wind, no one to ever care about them again.

So basically we need to do more musicals with old rock songs so that teens in 2080 still know Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns n' Roses, With or without you by U2, Don't you want me? by Human League, every single Sprinsteen song ever written, and all those other classics that I know three quarters of my year group at least have never heard of. So lets get writing! I'm sure someone out there can come up with something that rocks!

Oh and by the way, Glee doesn't count as a musical or as helping us remember these old artists but rather wishing we had never heard their modern version. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment