Friday 20 May 2011

The Wrong Goodbye...

As in the finale of season 4s Gossip Girl which aired on Wednesday (English time - it was Monday in the US)....

I fell in love with Gossip Girl years ago but this was the first episode where I really found myself guessing completely the wrong things. Take the Charlie/ Ivy story line. I would never have guessed she was an imposter and I literally had a heart attack when I realised! I had predicted plenty of other far less unbelievable stories lines but never this! And yet, it also made total sense. Then again, that's what I love about GG. The most unbelievable of plot lines seem to be part of the day to day life! Like Georgina randomly turning up at the school she never attended when she hadn't been seen in NY for almost the entire season! Because of course every twenty year old returns to their home town for a school fundraiser that her friend attended (her friend who wasn't her friend but ended up being with when a guy died due to a drug overdose and then later got her drunk and also involved her in taking down numerous enemies, as well as sleeping with her long-term boyfriend and step-brother....)

The part that got me the most though, was the Chuck/ Blair storyline. Like almost everyone else, I've been in love with this couple all the way through and literally cried at the season 2 finale! I found season 3 painful though and couldn't stand the two of them acting so maturely together and season 4 seemed to be covering the same ground as the first two seasons, combined with the two of them not really caring at all. I understood Blair's desire to have her fairytale ending but I just couldn't see Chuck ever being content sitting by and watching. As for the Dan/ Blair storyline... well, during the build up, I couldn't wait for the kiss that no doubt would come and the way they froze the scene worked very well in my opinion. But the following episode I couldn't wait for them to move back to Chuck and Blair. There was more chemistry when they hated each other than when Dan was avoiding hurting Blair's feelings and Blair was just acting plain strange!

But I thought this episode captured Chuck perfectly. He needed to grow up. The whole Blair/ Dan/ Chuck thing was too High School for what the producers are wanting this show to become: a scandalous yet sophisticated show about the romances of teenagers, intertwined with the manipulation and scheming that has made it so popular. The Blair/ Chuck/ Dan story just seemed to cover old ground as did the Blair/ Chuck/ Louis one although Chuck hitted Blair has to be one of the most powerful scenes, especially as they have never really dealt with violent relationships. But Chuck letting Blair live her dreams as a Princess, regardless of the fact he had finally won her back, just made me fall in love with him all over again. He wasn't the generous, mature man at the start of season 3, nor the strange guy at the start of season 4, but a guy so in love that he would do anything.

It really made me remember why I love this show and also what it is that makes me want a relationship like Chair's and someone like Chuck to remind me to follow my dreams, even if I end up losing what I am used to.

xoxo Gossip Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment