Saturday 9 April 2011

Health and safety is sometimes a good thing!

So I was left in the house alone yesterday and decided, after ruining the kitchen baking biscuits and icing them (24 hours in the fridge and it still hasn't set), that I would go and sit in the garden with a photo album and annotate some of the photos in there. This photo album by the way is one of those few where there are no precise slots for the photographs so you can stick in ones that aren't exactly 5 by 7 inches (which are most of them if I'm the one cutting them up) and don't have sticky stuff to place over the page of photos which always sticks to every single piece of fluff in the room but won't attach itself to the paper. So I set out with a pen and my photo album and started to flick through writing random stuff next to cringy photos of me as a three year old.

I probably should mention now that it was about 22/23'C and I had the sun on one side of me as it was between 2 and 5 in the afternoon. I have skin paler than Edward Cullen's and it is physically impossible for me to get anything more than freckled but I still like to try to tan once in a while.

I finished the pages I wanted to doodle all over (sorry, bring some creative design to) and decided that since I was alone and no one was around to thrash at badminton, I should do some cartwheels on the grass so kicking my shoes off I did some. (this might sound insane but when I was at my primary school, we all used to have competitions like who could do the most cartwheels in one go or stand on their hands for the longest - health and safety never really affected us back then although this was happening on grass with no adult supervision!!). So anyway I remembered this craze whereby the person goes into a bridge from standing (there's probably some very technical term for it but gymnastics were never my strong point).

Without really considering it, I found a nice enough section of grass and leaned backwards until I was in a sort of limbo position. Not much further now, I told myself.

Put it this way, I fell flat onto my back about 10 times and still have yet to acomplish it. Furthermore my parents got home, took one look at me and gave me a lecture about wearing suncream: yep, my thigh, my arm and cheek on my right side are now all bright red! Oh and furthermore, I ache all over and I think I pulled a stomach muscle if that's even possible.

I think I may just go and lie on the sofa for a while now!

No comments:

Post a Comment