Monday 11 April 2011

Top 10 Rock Ballads

10. Need You Now by Lady Antebellum - according to itunes this is a pop song but I think it's a mix of pop and light rock so I'm going to include it. It's great to sing along to. The emotion builds up to an amazing chorus near the end and it's literally impossible to hate it. Whenever it comes on, my best friend and I scream it at the top of our voices! Oh and it has a great guitar bit in the middle.

9. Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol - I think this is a rock ballad but I'm not exactly sure. I love the song though and it definately has more emotion in than most and possible one of the most awe inspiring climaxs ever!

8. With or Without You by U2 (although the version by Scala and Kolacny Brothers is also incredible though less rock) - the lyrics are what makes this song so incredible. To me it's all about this guy whose tired and slightly drunk and in pain and in love with this girl from years ago who he's never got over. He's now stumbling to this shore that's mentioned and is sitting on a cliff overlooking the sea, remembering the time they had together and wishing he could tell her that he still loves her despite the fact that when he's with her he's sad and when without her, he's even worse. It might be the most depressing song but it can always bring a tear to your eye.

7. I'm With You by Avril Lavigne - this isn't a classic rock ballad but it's emotional, slow and their's a rock tone to it so I think it counts. I like all of her music to be honest but her album Let Go is definately one of the best, before she went into pop mode. This song is a great one to cry to.

6. Always by Bon Jovi - this is a classic power ballad and doesn't fail to please me regardless of how many times I've heard it. My favourite bit comes 3 minutes in when the tunes changes and the lyrics are so beautiful, all about doing anything for the one you love. The guitar rift afterwards is also awesome!

5. Valentine by Richard Hawley - my mum got me into listening to this song by insisting I put it onto my iPod and since then I've fallen in love with it. Once more I wouldn't classify it as heavy rock but Hawley's voice is perfect for the song and it creates a rock atmosphere.

4. Never Say Goodbye by Bon Jovi - wow, the second one in this list! This song just beats Always because of the melancholic side that always brings a lump up in my throat. Unlike number 6, this one is all about the past and remembering what happened when they were younger. The drum part is what always captures my attention in this song which happens in very few songs so I ought to give the instrumental credit too in this slow ballad.

3. I'd do anything for love (but I won't do that) by Meat Loaf - the full version is 12 minutes long and I've had to get into a habit of skipping the first 1 and a half minutes of motor bikes reving up but after you get over that hurdle, this song is possible the most stunning romantic song sung by a rock singer. The music video is outstanding and the song isn't quite the same without it, but it still holds the emotion and beauty in Meat Loaf's voice. It reached number 1 in 28 countries and almost 20 years after it was released, it still holds magic.

2. She Will be Loved by Maroon 5 - an incredible song that has so much emotion and is far too catchy. This song is all about what you do for love and for someone you love and I only hope that there's a guy out there who will one day feel that way about me. I always feel a lump in my throat at the end of this song: beautiful melodies and harmony.

1. Best I Ever Had by State of Shock - this is a little-known American band whose music I love (for Christmas I asked for their album and sent my parents on a wild goose chase since I hadn't told them it wasn't available in England). This song is my most listened to song ever and I still can't get enough of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment